Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Full moon





As a mom and a science teacher, I always talk about the full moon. My children and I always walk outside the night of the full moon to bask in its gloriousness (pretty sure this is not a word). We discuss the Native American name given to each one and why it was called that. In my science class, we did the same and I usually lead off the lesson with something that corresponds. amazing how the moon names from so long ago, in such a primitive time provide the substance for a timely lesson plan.

Then this happens to me....Here I am on the full moon, the harvest moon, overlooking the Parthenon in Athens. To my left, all lit up is the Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Arch. Earlier in the day I stood next to a carved rock from 450 BC. BC!!!!! Are there words for this feeling? I feel so small...so new...such a speck in this big, old world.

The moon looks the same halfway across the world, however. I don't think I will ever forget this moment and the wonderful friends Marc and I spent it with . (bad ending a sentence with a preposition) Happy Birthday Fred!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hmm, maybe "gloriosity?" It doesn't matter; the important thing is you got to go see the moon from Greece--yay!