Friday, January 18, 2008

TNT thank you



Thank you so much for your generous donation to the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. We did it! I say “we” because I ran the Disney half marathon this weekend with your support alongside me.

The experience was something I will never forget. Believe it or not, the best part was not crossing the finish line, but rather mile 8 when I saw Kate and family cheering for me as she ran out, hugged me and said “I love you.” Better too was the evening before when survivors spoke to us about Gleevec, the frontline treatment created by funding from Team in Training. Even the researcher who pioneered the study is a Team in Training member. Still better was the 2000 person group hug with Kate in the center smiling, confetti streaming down and her joyful spirit reflected in everyone’s eyes. Even better were the thousands of spectators who cheered me on with a “Go Team” or random strangers expressing “thank you.” And I will never forget the feeling of crawling through the woods and pleading with police to drop Kate over a fence and watch her run through the finish line with her mom, her incredible loving advocate.

The medal is shiny but it is not the prize. The prize is the 5.6 million dollars the team raised for research that will give many the lifetime they deserve. The prize is a group of strangers joyfully coming together for a purpose and truly making a difference.

Kate has endured this disease with strength, spirit, hope and unwavering faith. While my race is over, hers continues every day. My friend Whitney and I picked her up from the airport this week and delivered her directly to the doors of the cancer treatment center for chemo. The reality again set in for all of us. Don’t be surprised if you get a plea from me again soon as I am fresh with the magic (sorry, I was at Disney World. Everyone uses that word for everything) of the weekend where so many gave it there all for life and love.

I am truly grateful for your donation and your encouragement. This tremendous experience has changed me forever.

Much love,
angela

No comments: