Friday, August 22, 2008

you had me at sauerkraut balls!


I recently finished a great book which had me waxing nostalgic for my hometown of Akron. Even if you have no love for blimps, DEVO and the pretenders, you should read David Giffels' All the Way Home: Building a Family in a Falling-Down House for his wit and wisdom. While wasting time on the internet, I stumbled upon an interview with him and now I love him even more. If you are interested, you can find it here: http://www.cautionarytale.com/questions/giffels2.htm


Maybe someday I can write a book describing Akron the way Willa describes the plains. What would I have to include? hmmmm. Cadillac Hill, the Go-Go Goodyear sign, the big Ol Indian in Fairlawn, Stan Hywet, Glendale Cemetery, Luigi's (cheese on my salad? was that rhetorical?), DEVO, the Soap Box derby, Chrissy Hynde, and yes--sauerkraut balls.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Hi Angela,

I'm glad you stumbled on the Cupcake Chronicles. We have a lot of fun with it and had our first field trip--to Akron in early May.

Your description is similar to what I love about Akron--except it is a shame that they tore down the old Fairlawn School and don't keep many of the old brick streets.

If you enjoyed David Giffels book you might also like THE PLACE YOU LOVE IS GONE--PROGRESS HITS HOME by another Akronite, Melissa Holbrook Pierson. She also has a blog called "Nelly's World" at www.bfskinnersbaby.blogspot.com

Anyway, her first section is on her Akron childhood.

Happy blogging!

Catherine

Catherine said...

PS I LOVE sauerkraut balls! I always buy some in the prepared food section at West Point Market when I'm up there. I don't even heat them up! Just gobble 'em right out of the box.

a Cupcake near you! said...

Yes, yes, you'll love Melissa's book. Can't believe you wrote about sauerkraut balls as that was a little joke on our Akron World Cupcake Tour last spring.
Best wishes,
Queenie

metalchick666 said...

Found your blog! Funny enough, I actually have a recipe card for Sauerkraut Balls hanging on my fridge. I kid you not.