Saturday, June 7, 2008

frustration


I had a moment with a mom in the parking lot of a mall today and I can't seem to get it off my mind. When we were entering the mall, a little boy about 3 years old came running out crying---you know that cry where they breathe in really hard and their chest rises and falls and it goes on after the crying is over. Many moms tried to help but it looked like he was following someone so we all watched and waited. Then he ran into the crowded, hot, saturday afternoon mall parking lot wailing and turning in circles. My heart fell and my legs started to run. As a man who was closer tried to help him, all of us moms stayed at watch to make sure he would do the right thing. Inside the mall a mom strolled towards the doors (seriously, she was taking a Sunday walk looking for her lost child). As she opened the doors the little boy's eyes widened and he ran for the comfort of his mother. Whew, I thought. He is safe. Here comes the horror of it all. She grabs him and slaps him then pulls his arm tightly and walks away with him. There was a collective gasp, but no one did a thing. nothing. I couldn't help but run to her. I stopped her and said "you hit him? he is lost and you hit him? He was wandering the parking lot crying for you and you hit him?" She walked away. My sons said "mom, people are staring at you. This is a little embarrasing." All I could say was "she should know that she was being a bad mother. She should know we are watching. He should know that we are watching." I hope someone is telling him he is loved at home because my heart is breaking for his little soul. I hope my children understood from that moment how much they are loved and kept safe.
my friend Shannon made me a gorgeous frame with this quote which is fitting for today: "Our children are watching us live, and what we are shouts louder than anything we can say" --W. Peterson

No comments: