Tuesday, March 4, 2008

like the corners of my mind


Ben just went to a memory study at Emory. It was amazing what he recalled and how specific moments were remembered. However, I found he remembered more unhappy things than happy things. Bill's joy in the mundane blog really resonates now. Ben won't remember the fun days when we sat in the sun eating strawberries, reading stories and giggling but he will never forget burning his hand when he was two and he touched something hot. He remembers all the hurt feelings and scary things but doesn't remember feeding ducks on a nice day after a walk through the park. I try to ask "what was the best thing that happened today?" every night at dinner hoping that makes it stick, but I think this may be futile.
so here are some of my early memories that are good:
*the smell of my grandpa and sitting with him in front of a warm register on a cold day
*playing yatzee with my grandma
*my grandma teaching me to sew
*making sukiyaki in the afternoon with my dad
*burying my plastic dishes behind my old house with lala when i had to move
*playing "my father owns a grocery store" with my grandma
*playing in the button box
*my mom scaring me by jumping out of my closet with face cream on (it was a good scare)
*my grandfather teaching me how to draw
*my aunt letting me put stickers all over her cookbook
*my grandmother playing cards with me
*my dad helping me with my dollhouse, science fair project
*my dad, our school's only room dad, bringing coke as a drink. the kids loved him
*my dad singing "Country Roads" with me as we drove through West Virginia
*my Mrs Beasley doll

I asked Will what the best part of his day was today and he said "Mrs Wise opened the window so we could hear the beautiful sound of the rain." Hope he remembers that.

1 comment:

Beth said...

The version at my house was Ed Ames, but maybe yours is John Denver:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DC8nDdPM_Qk