Friday, April 4, 2008

my Antonia


"Some memories are realities, and are better than anything that can ever happen to one again."--Willa Cather. My Antonia


Recently finished My Antonia again. I love this book so much. So nostalgic and nature filled. It's one of those books that has sentences intended to be read twice. How amorphous a thing our memory is. While our hero longs for his lost youth, a touch of the long prairie grass waving under an expanse of blue skies brings it back for an instance. When he sees Antonia decades later and remembers unspoken love. Antonia is for Jim all that we leave behind and long for but cannot relive. Antonia is the prairie; the long grasses that wave in the wind under a vast blue sky. Antonia is the relatives long gone who taught Jim to survive harsh winters. Antonia is the feeling of first love, the first time you dance in the summertime. I love this book, every dripping word of the scenery of the prairie. Cather writes "Whatever we had missed, we possessed together the precious, the incommunicable past." Read it. Borrow my copy.

No comments: